Sunday, August 8, 2010

Hot Bipasha Basu to take on Serious Roles

Bipasha Basu may have one of the hottest bodies this side of the planet but she would rather do roles that have meat rather than show flesh. Not just Bipasha Basu, her beau John Abraham also wants to do serious cinema. Bipasha Basu had won rave reviews whenever she touched serious subjects be it in corporate or
Lamhaa, which is why she has decided to switch. So the upcoming movies that Bipasha Basu will be doing has her doing serious films like Aakrosh and Dum Maaro Dum.

Bipasha adds, "John loved me in Lamhaa. He has done a film on terrorism New York and he feels we both need to stretch ourselves as actors beyond entertainment.Sure I am very proud of my physique. I've worked hard on it. But now I'm hungering for challenges as an actress. In Lamhaa, I was not only in a burqa throughout. I also got a chance to understand how life is lived in an atmosphere of crisis."

Both Aakrosh directed by Priyadarshan and Rohan Sippy’s drug theme based movie Dum Maaro Dum touch socially relevant themes. Aakrosh is based on honor killing. Bipasha Basu aims to go for the kill. Let us see how she measures against the other hottie who has also ventured into serious cinema; we are talking Priyanka Chopra who is gung-ho about Saath Khoon Maaf.

Explains the actress, "Real doesn't necessarily mean de-glamorized. While in Aakrosh I play a school teacher in a dusty small town of North India and wear cottons; in Dum Maro Dum which is about substance abuse, my character Zoyi is very zany with-it and a girl of today. I'm very glamorous in Dum Maro Dum."

Bipasha is all praises for Priyadarshan, the director of Aakrosh. "The way Priyadarshan has dealt with the subject of honour killing is remarkable. Again as an actress I was put in a situation I had little knowledge of. I learnt about honour killing and Kashmir on the job. Not that I don't read newspapers. But reading about these things is one thing. Seeing them first-hand is another." The scene where burqa clad women hit Bipasha in Lamhaa has earned her a lot of praise, though the actress says it was quite a pain doing it physically and mentally.

"It was very, very humiliating and painful. I had all these women screaming abuses and hitting me everywhere on my body until I fell to the ground. Even after the director Rahul Dholakia called 'cut' I was on the floor sobbing inconsolably. The director kept recording my trauma. At least one could prepare and rehearse in Aakrosh. No such luxuries were there in Lamhaa. We sometimes literally had seven minutes to shoot in a crowded lane or street of Srinagar and flee before being accosted. That suited me fine because I am a one-take actor."


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Comments