Sunday, October 23, 2011

Veena Malik gets Prostitute's role in a New Film

Veena Malik has bagged the role of a prostitute in Zinadgi 50-50. The actress who is quite well known in Pakistan became more controversial and even more popular when she was a part of Bigg Boss Season 3.  Veena Malik has also done an item number for another film.


Veena Malik will play the biographical role of Madhuri, a sex worker who has been supporting her family for years, this movie is based on her life story.  In fact, Veena has done a lot of research for her part in this film called Zindagi 50-50. She has been actually meeting women in the red-light area on the sly to get more tips for her role.

Veena  is only happy to bag the role. She beams, "Main sach boloon aapko? This film has changed my life and my attitude to women and sex workers in particular. When director Sanjay Ruia came to me, he wanted me to play another role in Zindagi 50-50. I insisted on playing Madhuri. Koi connect hai. Koi link…I don't know what it was. But I instantly empathized with Madhuri's responsibilities towards her large family. Maybe because I come from a family of five daughters and one son. But I understand what it feels like to be a woman in a male-dominated society. I've always supported myself, been on my own."

Veena spent hours with Madhuri, and understood much about her dual life. "In the daytime, she's a normal middleclass girl. In the night, she puts on her burqa and goes to work in the red-light area, just like any normal working-girl. I loved the dignity that Madhuri brings to her life and her work. I hope I am able to convey the same dignity in my performance."

Veena has been influenced so much by the dignity of Madhuri and the plight of people in the red light area that she has decided to do something for the betterment of the people there. "We've rules, laws, organizations and activists fighting for animal welfare. But who cares about the sex workers? I am appalled by the way they live in the red-light areas, not just in India but across Asia. These women deserve a much better life." says Veena.
Let us find out if Veena Malik can slip in the shoes of other Bollywood actresses who have played the prostitute in various films. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Comments